The 2013 model year marks the sixth generation of the Lexus ES luxury sedan and the introduction of the first-ever, ES 300h with Lexus Hybrid Drive. The ES 300h features the signature Lexus spindle grille, a progressive new design and enhanced handling.
The ES 300h features a Drive Mode select feature, with Normal, Eco, Sport, and EV modes, allowing drivers to customize their experience.
- NORMAL mode provides a blend of performance and efficiency that is suited to everyday driving.
- ECO mode revises throttle mapping and climate control systems to favor fuel economy while the meter lighting changes to blue.
- Sport mode increases powertrain and steering responsiveness, while the IP changes from the hybrid power monitor to a tachometer.
- EV mode allows short distance drives, at reduced speed, using only the power from the hybrid battery pack.
The modern, progressive interior of the all-new ES 300h brings new levels of refinement and quality to the entry luxury segment.
- The all-new ES 300h features a 2.5-liter four-cylinder Atkinson cycle engine generating 200 total system horsepower.
- The ES 300h has estimated EPA fuel economy ratings of 40 mpg city, 39 mpg highway and 40 mpg combined.
- The new, low friction engine utilizes a sophisticated power management system and high compression ratio (12.5:1) to increase overall efficiency.
- Equipped with an electric water pump, electric power steering, and an integrated hybrid electric motor/generator, this engine does not require any accessory belts. The beltless design helps improve fuel economy and overall reliability.
- The front suspension employs opposite-wound coil springs to help enhance straight-line stability.
- Revised rear suspension geometry and improved shock absorber damping characteristics enhance ride comfort.
- The 14.8:1 steering gear ratio helps deliver a responsive and direct steering feel.
- Increased body rigidity is achieved through lightweight, high tensile strength steel, added bracing and more spot welds.
- Airflow is smoothed beneath the vehicle, improving stability and fuel economy, and reducing drag.
- The ES 300h is equipped with standard 215/55R17 low rolling resistance tires on 17-inch alloy wheels.
- The optional Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) helps detect vehicles in side blind spots. The RCTA alerts the driver to rear cross traffic when backing out of a parking spot.
- Available Lane Departure Alert (LDA) is integrated with automatic high beam dimming technology.
- The available Pre-Collision System (PCS) uses sub-millimeter wave radar, designed to detect certain obstructions traveling ahead and prepare the vehicle for a potential collision.
- The ES features a class-leading 10 airbags as standard equipment, including driver and front passenger knee, front and seat-mounted air bags, rear seat-mounted side airbags, and front and rear side curtain airbags.
- Whiplash Injury Lessening (WIL) front seats are designed to limit excessive head movement in certain rear-end collisions, helping to decrease the severity of whiplash-type injuries.
- Lexus Safety Connect, including Enhanced Roadside Assistance, an Emergency Assistance Button (SOS), Stolen Vehicle Location services, and Automatic Collision Notification, is offered on all new Lexus vehicles with a one-year trial subscription.
- The new ES features enhanced NuLuxe seating surfaces and available genuine semi-aniline leather.
- The standard Lexus Premium Sound System features eight-speakers with Automatic Sound Levelizer (ASL), in-dash CD player, USB/iPod® connectivity, and an integrated SiriusXM Satellite Radio receiver with a 90-day trial subscription.
- The available Display Audio package adds a seven-inch screen, HD Radio™ with iTunes® tagging, Bluetooth® audio, phone transfer, a vehicle information display and a rear backup camera.
- The optional HDD Navigation System includes voice command, an integrated backup camera, an eight-inch screen, and the next generation Lexus Enform® system with App Suite.
- Lexus Enform provides seamless connectivity with Bing™ search, iHeartRadio, MovieTickets.com, OpenTable®, Pandora®, Yelp® and Facebook Places through compatible smart phones. (A one-year subscription to Lexus Enform with App Suite is included.)
- An available 15-speaker 835 watt Mark Levinson® audio system features an eight-inch display screen, HD Radio with iTunes tagging, DVD audio/video and a Sirius XM Satellite Radio receiver. Exclusive GreenEdge technology from Mark Levinson doubles the output of the amplifier, while reducing energy consumption by fifty percent.
- The wheelbase has been lengthened by 1.8 inches.
- Overall length of the vehicle has grown by one inch, resulting in shorter overhangs and a more spacious interior.
- The “L” design motif is reflected in the LED daytime running lights and combination rear lamps. Fog lamps are integrated into the sculpted lower front bumper fascia.
- The ES 300h features an exclusive rear design with hidden exhaust and an integrated rear spoiler.
- Other details specific to the hybrid include unique blue badging and exclusive 17-inch alloy wheels.
- Rear headroom is increased by 0.8 inches, knee room is increased by 2.8 inches and legroom is lengthened by 4.1 inches.
- Additional foot room below the front seats enhances rear passenger comfort.
- A newly sculptured 10-way adjustable power seat is standard.
- An available 12-way power seat allows the seat cushion to extend by 1.4 inches for better leg support.
- The steering wheel angle has been reduced from 24 degrees to 22 degrees for a more natural control position.
- The instrument panel places the main information display directly in the driver’s line of sight, supplemented by a center-mounted 3.5-inch color TFT multi-information display screen or available navigation and multimedia system.
- The second-generation Remote Touch Interface (RTI) allows the user to operate the climate, audio, phone controls, optional navigation system and more. The screen menus are selected with a controller located on the center console.
- The interior is offered in Black, Light Gray, and Parchment. Trim colors and materials include Piano Black and Espresso Bird’s-eye Maple, plus Bamboo for the ES 300h.